A student from Maryland recently recounted to me the struggles that her family was facing. Her siblings have been out of school for a week now--no doubt driving her mother crazy--due to the snow days in Maryland. Snow literally covered the entire height of cars! I can't imagine such a scene much less having to live with that.
I've heard so many people say of late how they are ready for the snow to just go away and I can only imagine the more snow one has had the more magnified that sentiment!
This week we began the season of Lent. Lent reminds me of that readiness for the dissipation of snow. It brings sacrifice and darkness of the soul that we just wish would go away!
Somewhere around 100 AD Christians began to realize the need to prepare their hearts for the resurrection day of Easter. To do so, they realized that they needed to observe the same or similiar sorts of sacrifice that the darks days leading up to Passover in Jesus' life represented. They needed to experience sacrifice or at least something of the sacrifice that God in Christ was making when he gave his son's life. This is what Lent is about. This is that sense of being overcome by dreariness and the woes of life. This is that wrestling over the things we know are coming but cannot yet see. This is that wilderness when we know not what God is doing but we are called to step out in faith and trust.
I'd just assume experience joy and happiness all of the time! I realize that even in sad and trying moments I can choose joy. Still, Lent reminds us that we really can't appreciate the joys and blessings of life if we can't at least understand something of the sadness and suffering that can occur.
I've always thought of Lent as an invitation. It is an invitation for us to be grateful for the cold and snowy winters of our lives (whether literally or figuratively) for in their gift we realize the value of the warm and wonderful springs and summers of flourishing that happen in our lives.
Whatever wintry experiences of life are yours this day, know that Lent is the call to remember that God is at work and wonders ARE forthcoming! Thanks be to God for the wonders that are ours! Amen.
Thursday, February 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment