January 21, 2009
I Peter 5:1-7
“I have a special concern for you church leaders. I know what it’s like to be a leader, in on Christ’s sufferings as well as the coming glory. Here’s my concern: that you care for God’s flock with all of the diligence of a shepherd. Not because you have to, but because you want to please God. Not calculating what you can get out of it, but acting spontaneously. Not bossily telling others what to do, but tenderly showing them the way. When God, who is the best shepherd of all, comes out in the open with his rule, he’ll see that you’ve done it right and commend you lavishly. And you who are younger must follow your leaders. But all of you, leaders and followers alike, are to be down to earth with each other, for—‘God has had it with the proud, but takes delight in just plain people.’ So be content with who you are, and don’t put on airs. God’s strong hand is on you; he’ll promote you at the right time. Live carefree before God; he is most careful with you.”
I sat in a deacon’s meeting this past week and listened as the head of our Finance Committee enumerated the factors that constitute a strong church. First, he said, “You must love each other.” Second, “You must minister to the least of these.” Third (my paraphrase), you must share the name of Jesus and the reason he makes a difference in your life. He looked the leaders of our church in the eyes and gave them a grade. On number one—excellent! You love each other! On number two—moderate to above average. You make a good effort at making a difference in others lives. On number three—poor. Rarely, if at all do you share your stories of Jesus Christ outside of the walls of this church. If you want this church to survive, you have to live all three excellently.
It was like listening to the presbyter of the Roman church who supposedly used Peter’s name to pen this passage of scripture. If you are going to be a leader in the church, then you live a different kind of life. Your priority is to act like a shepherd. A shepherd is a nurturer. A shepherd’s first concern is not to be known in all of the land as the best shepherd. A shepherd’s first concern is not how they look to other people or how they compare. A shepherd’s first concern is to humble himself to care first for the sheep. That humility comes because the shepherd is not about showing off how close he/she may be to God . Instead, he/she has given every moment of their living to God. And because the shepherd lives within the will of God, life can be carefree because the shepherd knows that God is handling everything.
I despise deacon’s meetings—always have—always will. The reason? From my vantage point, it is the place where I cannot see the Spirit at work. What I see are well meaning people who stand with their own opinions and in some cases agendas to purport what is right and the body together argues, compromises, etc. But the Spirit of God is not about compromising. The Spirit of God is about humility. I’ve often wondered why I’ve never witnessed an issue come up at a deacon’s meeting to be followed by a call to prayer over it. Why is it that no one ever stops to be quiet and listen to what God might say to them? Why is it that no one asks, “Is this answer honest, pure, loving and unselfish?” Those are the clear ways to discern if God is speaking. Why is it that we are so certain we are right and so embarrassed to step out publicly and corporately humble ourselves before God. If we would just take the risk, the blessings would abound. I look at those meetings and see how profoundly I have failed to teach my church from my role as minister. I look at those meetings and see how profoundly I have failed my God.
Would that the strong hand of God were upon us! But the only way I see for that to happen is for us all to humble ourselves before God. I am willing. Are you? Amen.
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment