September 24, 2008
I Peter 1:10-12
“The prophets who told us this was coming asked a lot of questions about this gift of life God was preparing. The Messiah’s Spirit let them in on some of it—that the Messiah would experience suffering, followed by glory. They clamored to know who and when. All they were told was that they were serving you, you who by orders from heaven have now heard for yourselves—through the Holy Spirit—the Message of those prophecies fulfilled. Do you realize how fortunate you are? Angels would have given anything to be in on this!”
When I was a little girl, my parents tell me that they would take me somewhere and the minute we arrived I would say something to the effect of, “This is great! What’s next?” I was and always have been ready to find out the next thing. I am bored easily and therefore always on the move. That mentality is not unlike the recipients of this letter. They have been told that Jesus will be returning. “Alright then, let’s get on with it! When can we expect him?” Many were in agreement that the prophets had predicted it but they never said when.
In our last vignette from this scripture the author discussed salvation and now he pulls on that idea as well as the idea of time (kairos). The people were anxious to know when this One in whom they found their salvation would make himself manifest to them. They were fixated on the idea and wanted to pin it down.
I must tell you that the author of Peter is rather naïve. Peter assumes that he has one singular audience—that there is one Jewish community and that everyone believes the same thing--that Jesus was the Messiah and that Jesus would be the one returning. Peter also assumes that Jesus existed prior to his birth on earth. There would be many that would disagree with such an argument. So, as we hear this passage, it is important to understand that from Peter’s perspective Jesus was indeed the end all be all. With that perspective, it is easy to see how the people were ready to get on with it. Let’s see this one who is our salvation! Let’s see him now!
Those of the ancient world would find more value in these words than I do now given their anxious anticipation of the Messiah’s return. Still, the value that I find here comes in that word of time. How often are we like these people (or like little Blythe for that matter )? How often are we so excited about the happening of something that we want it NOW?!! In our wanting of and excitement for some anticipated happening we often lose the value of the process and we fail to embrace the value of mystery. Mystery may be uncomfortable but there is purpose in it. Sometimes the very key to our security exists in the context of mystery.
This week I know that my awareness of time will be keen as it always is but as I traverse the minutes that it brings I will make a commitment to valuing each one. Will you join me?
Thursday, September 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment